Pasta

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  M.E. 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Hi Jason – The only sign I know of that you need to scrub the black Berkey filters is when it becomes really slow. You’ll notice it takes a really long time to produce water. I’m sure it varies based on the mineral content & contaminates of your water. I just back-flush the white (PF2) filters at that time – the same way it instructs you to flush them before installing. They don’t last as long as the black elements, as Tony said.

Hi Tony, I don’t grow anything currently as sold my home in 2013 and I live in an apartment in the Dallas, TX area for work, but I would loooovvvveee to get my hands in some soil!! I grew up in the country on many acres and we had a large garden plus chickens, turkeys, ducks, cows, horses, cats and dogs. I really miss that and have been longing to start a homestead (definitely with a goat!) but I haven’t found the right place yet. Now that my mother has passed I inherited her home and a few acres but it’s too far away (250 miles) for me to feasibly live there with work. It’s in a very rural area, too, so there really aren’t many places to find good work. I’m also feeling a little unsettled and trying to determine where God wants me in this new phase of my life with no family. I don’t believe he wants me to put down roots where I am for some reason.
    I currently have to try to be content with making home-made Kombucha, and I’m going to start fermenting vegetables b/c they’re so good for your digestion. 🙂
    Do you grow anything, Tony?

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Hi Tony, I don’t grow anything currently as sold my home in 2013 and I live in an apartment in the Dallas, TX area for work, but I would loooovvvveee to get my hands in some soil!! I grew up in the country on many acres and we had a large garden plus chickens, turkeys, ducks, cows, horses, cats and dogs. I really miss that and have been longing to start a homestead (definitely with a goat!) but I haven’t found the right place yet. Now that my mother has passed I inherited her home and a few acres but it’s too far away (250 miles) for me to feasibly live there with work. It’s in a very rural area, too, so there really aren’t many places to find good work. I’m also feeling a little unsettled and trying to determine where God wants me in this new phase of my life with no family. I don’t believe he wants me to put down roots where I am for some reason.
    I currently have to try to be content with making home-made Kombucha, and I’m going to start fermenting vegetables b/c they’re so good for your digestion. 🙂
    Do you grow anything, Tony?

I can understand totally why you would feel unsettled with no family left, and wondering where to settle. I think when things get bad, large cities will be the worst places to be. I am not really keen on the hustle and bustle of cities anyway. When my kids were small we lived in the countryside and I loved it. We were only 15 minutes drive outside from an inland city of 150,000 in NZ ( Hamilton).It was a great place to grow any sort of fruit and vegetables, flowers, trees etc. We grew a fair bit of all those things. Now I live in a small, quiet beach town across the road from the ocean. It’s harder to grow most things because of the salt laden winds etc. But I do have a smallish vegetable garden. It’s doing ok at the moment. Much better than this time last year. That’s because the weather is vastly better at present than at the same time last year! What is kombucha?

A Minute to Midnite Administration
    A Minute To Midnite Show Host

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

I can understand totally why you would feel unsettled with no family left, and wondering where to settle. I think when things get bad, large cities will be the worst places to be. I am not really keen on the hustle and bustle of cities anyway. When my kids were small we lived in the countryside and I loved it. We were only 15 minutes drive outside from an inland city of 150,000 in NZ ( Hamilton).It was a great place to grow any sort of fruit and vegetables, flowers, trees etc. We grew a fair bit of all those things. Now I live in a small, quiet beach town across the road from the ocean. It’s harder to grow most things because of the salt laden winds etc. But I do have a smallish vegetable garden. It’s doing ok at the moment. Much better than this time last year. That’s because the weather is vastly better at present than at the same time last year! What is kombucha?

Did I do the quote above right? Lol, I keep responding to posts and forget to quote what it is I’m responding to!

Kombucha is a fermented tea that is very healthy, good for detoxifying and digestion. Commercial versions are sold in health-food stores but most aren’t really healthy. It’s pretty popular in the US among health conscious people. I love it and drink some every day.

Here’s a little bit about Kombucha from one of my favorite bloggers:
    “The traditional probiotic drink made from fermented tea originated in China and then Russia. It is made with black, green, or white tea and cane sugar. Kombucha has a colorful history. Ancestral cultures enjoyed it for many centuries before it was “rediscovered” in the 1990’s in the United States. ”

Kombucha Tea: Benefits & Healthy Recipe + Videos

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Tony, here’s my Kombucha brewing jar (yep, someone actually makes & sells these! lol) with a current batch that is fermenting:
    (let’s see if I can get the pics to upload b/c I’m not sure exactly how to do it…)

Kombucha brewing jar

Here’s a bottle I have in the fridge from my last batch:

Bottled, home-made Kombucha

Jason Bramble
    Participant

oh question about pasta, more actually about the sauce. I suppose the best way to get it is homemade right? but how long will that keep in mason jars?

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

If you’re making it yourself (homemade) then you will have to go through the process of canning it properly for it to be safe to store. I’m not sure how long it will be good? Maybe search the internet?

Jason Bramble
    Participant

maybe then i’ll just buy it canned and if its close to expired and nothings happened just make something and buy more

M.E.
    Participant

We buy the big double packs of sauce from Sam’s Club, and I’d be comfortable using them up to two years after the ‘best by’ date. If you properly can homemade sauce it should be fine for about three years. But I’ll warn you that tomato sauce is a beast to make/can homemade. It takes a ton of tomatoes and it can get an odd taste easily. At least, in my experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.