Pasta

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  M.E. 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jason Bramble
    Participant

Is Pasta a good survival food? I mean all you gotta do is boil it and it becomes editable. You should be able to start a fire i guess right? I am new to the “Prepping” thing but Pasta was on sale this week and I was looking at it wondering if it’d make a good food for this. Because it’s dry stored and stays for along time.

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Pasta is good to have as a part of your supplies. Definitely go for plenty of rice though as well. You might find this article helpful

10 Best Survival Foods At Your Local Supermarket
    https://www.activistpost.com/2012/10/10-best-survival-foods-at-your-local.html

A Minute to Midnite Administration
    A Minute To Midnite Show Host

Jason Bramble
    Participant

beauty! iam starting to get more serious about this I think. I bought a water purifier thing that’s pretty good. Gets the Fluoride and chlorine out purest water i’ve ever tasted.

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

beauty! iam starting to get more serious about this I think. I bought a water purifier thing that’s pretty good. Gets the Fluoride and chlorine out purest water i’ve ever tasted.

I use the two-bucket home-made Black Berkey filter I made to filter all my drinking water. It’s definitely a good idea to have some sort of water purifier for sure. Good to hear that you are getting serious about this stuff 🙂

Jason Bramble
    Participant

This is the water filter i have
    Royal Berkey

I am not sure how to tell when to change the filters tho. Although its very expensive for the filters. Yikes.

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Jason- that is basically the official version of what I made with two plastic buckets. I used the same two filters that are in that one of yours in my home made one. The filters last a long time. They are expensive, but according to their site : Each element has an expected life of 3,000 gallons or 6,000 gallons for a set of two.
    It will be a long while before you need to change them!

Jason Bramble
    Participant

tutorial on how to make it with plastic buckets?

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Here is a video I made on how to do it

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Welcome to prepping, Jason!!
    I’ve had the Berkey water filter for 5+ years now and I love it! I use a black, wax pencil to write on the side of it the date I replace the black/carbon filters & the fluoride filters. I usually guesstimate how often I fill it up and calculate when I need to replace them.
    When you start to notice that it’s taking longer to filter water, it’s time to disassemble & scrub the black/carbon filters because they get a little clogged; also back-flush the fluoride filters. It’s all in the instructions. 🙂
    You might look into purchasing some of the emergency food buckets. I have several that contain oatmeal, beans, rice, etc. I usually only eat organic foods and you can find organic emergency food buckets or you can build your own. Here’s a link to a blog post I follow – rel=”noopener” target=”_blank”>How to Build a 30-Day Emergency Food Supply…Fasthttp://www.theorganicprepper.ca/build-a-30-day-emergency-food-supply-fast-08142017

Jason Bramble
    Participant

oh so you CAN flush the fluoride filters cool.. I’ve had it about a year. I did one flush when I got it. It’s not taking too long but rather it doesn’t filter all the water in the thingy there’s always some left towards the bottom of the filter. Not much just a bit is that a sign of scrub and flush time?

Jason Bramble
    Participant

Here is a video I made on how to do it

AWESOME! iam going to try this even though I have a filter, I want a bigger one.

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Welcome to prepping, Jason!!

You might look into purchasing some of the emergency food buckets. I have several that contain oatmeal, beans, rice, etc. I usually only eat organic foods and you can find organic emergency food buckets or you can build your own. Here’s a link to a blog post I follow – rel=”noopener” target=”_blank”>How to Build a 30-Day Emergency Food Supply…Fasthttp://www.theorganicprepper.ca/build-a-30-day-emergency-food-supply-fast-08142017

That’s a good resource- thank s for sharing it! AS well as the storage bucket- Do you grow any veges and fruit yourself Dianna?

Jason Bramble
    Participant

Tony how do you get the fluoride out? in your home made one?

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Tony how do you get the fluoride out? in your home made one?

To be honest, I hadn’t realised that the Black Berkey filters by themselves only remove fluoride for a few hundred gallons, and then don’t do it any more. Their ability to remove fluoride is for a much less time than their ability to remove all other stuff. I guess I should probably buy some Berkey PF2 Arsenic & Fluoride Filters and attach them to the black filters. That could be done the same way as in this video:

Jason Bramble
    Participant

Yeah thats what i have the black ones and the white ones. As I call them LOL.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.