Is All Christian Music Good?

Home Forums Arts, Music, Movies, Entertainment Is All Christian Music Good?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  EmmaC 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

I’ve been wondering about this topic for a while and would love to hear what everyone thinks.
    I’ve been listening almost exclusively to contemporary Christian music for the past 11 years (well, 90% of the time; I do love smooth jazz, too.)
    I just wonder about music produced by questionable ministries like Hillsong. They have some beautiful songs that really stir my soul and that I love for worship, but I wonder if there’s any reason I shouldn’t listen to them because of who produces them?
    It’s obvious that not all music glorifies God or Jesus but when it comes to Christian music does it only matter what’s in your heart?
    Anyone have any guidance?
    Many Blessings to you all!

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

OK, I think I’ve just learned an answer to my question above by seeking the answer to another question. Isn’t God awesome how He works. 🙂

I clicked on a link by MattS about the NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) because I wasn’t exactly clear how to recognize their false teachings. Interestingly, the topic of music from NAR churches was brought up and what they said made so much sense. I felt rather embarrassed that I didn’t put it together myself!

The problem with Christian music from churches that are not teaching sound Biblical doctrine is that people are drawn to those churches because they like the music, especially young people.
    Of course! That’s how they draw you in. :/

So I guess that modifies my question a little bit – is it OK to listen to Christian music, even music produced by churches of questionable doctrine, if you don’t buy in to their false doctrine and have no plans to ever follow their teachings?

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

OK, I think I’ve just learned an answer to my question above by seeking the answer to another question. Isn’t God awesome how He works. 🙂

I clicked on a link by MattS about the NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) because I wasn’t exactly clear how to recognize their false teachings. Interestingly, the topic of music from NAR churches was brought up and what they said made so much sense. I felt rather embarrassed that I didn’t put it together myself!

The problem with Christian music from churches that are not teaching sound Biblical doctrine is that people are drawn to those churches because they like the music, especially young people.
    Of course! That’s how they draw you in. :/

So I guess that modifies my question a little bit – is it OK to listen to Christian music, even music produced by churches of questionable doctrine, if you don’t buy in to their false doctrine and have no plans to ever follow their teachings?

That’s a very good question. I hope some other people will chime in with their thoughts. I am kind of grappling with questions around music within churches. I am part of a worship team in a small church and I find myself questioning some of the songs.

A Minute to Midnite Administration
    A Minute To Midnite Show Host

Jason Bramble
    Participant

I don’t know if it’s all good. Some of it seems very worldly to me, But that’s just because I guess they are trying to reach “The Younger generations” and that’s what you have to do. Make it seem “Cool” to keep folk interested.

As a guy that like’s to fool around with music beats and stuff, I myself even took a older Faith Song and added a funkier beat to it, and found it more enjoyable to listen to. Used the same vocals though of the original artist. Just more uptempo beat.

SOOOOOOOOOOO I said all that to say this. I don’t know hahaha. To the ear of the beholder I guess?

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

I don’t know if it’s all good. Some of it seems very worldly to me, But that’s just because I guess they are trying to reach “The Younger generations” and that’s what you have to do. Make it seem “Cool” to keep folk interested.

As a guy that like’s to fool around with music beats and stuff, I myself even took a older Faith Song and added a funkier beat to it, and found it more enjoyable to listen to. Used the same vocals though of the original artist. Just more uptempo beat.

SOOOOOOOOOOO I said all that to say this. I don’t know hahaha. To the ear of the beholder I guess?

You always crack me up Jason Bramble…….it’s great to see you o n here too now bro 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Tony Koretz.

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Tony, would you mind elaborating on what you said about your church’s song choices? I’m curious as to what makes you question a song which might help me with discernment.

” I am kind of grappling with questions around music within churches. I am part of a worship team in a small church and I find myself questioning some of the songs.”

Angela Georgantas
    Participant

I watched the NAR video and came up with the same thing you did: the music itself isn’t bad; it just leads people to churches without sound doctrine. As for some of the Christian music being worldly, I think you’re right about that too. Songs like “Worth More than Gold” and “Hard Love” are catchy but don’t glorify God so much as man.

BUT, that being said, for me it’s one of two things: Either I listen to contemporary music in the car and spend my time worshiping, thinking about God, and pondering whether the meanings in the songs are biblical or not, or I…well, there isn’t really any other choice for me except silence or maybe a book on tape. Secular music isn’t the answer, and I really hate that boring old churchy stuff (sorry to those who like it). It’s Contemporary Christian or nothing. Here’s my new favorite, and I think it’s very biblical and totally glorifies God.

Jason Bramble
    Participant

I watched the NAR video and came up with the same thing you did: the music itself isn’t bad; it just leads people to churches without sound doctrine. As for some of the Christian music being worldly, I think you’re right about that too. Songs like “Worth More than Gold” and “Hard Love” are catchy but don’t glorify God so much as man.

BUT, that being said, for me it’s one of two things: Either I listen to contemporary music in the car and spend my time worshiping, thinking about God, and pondering whether the meanings in the songs are biblical or not, or I…well, there isn’t really any other choice for me except silence or maybe a book on tape. Secular music isn’t the answer, and I really hate that boring old churchy stuff (sorry to those who like it). It’s Contemporary Christian or nothing. Here’s my new favorite, and I think it’s very biblical and totally glorifies God.

some of the Churchy stuff is good if you put a newer tempo to it LOL. Actually the lyrics are quite beautiful. For me it’s just the pace which makes me sleepy.

MattS
    Senior Moderator

Tony, would you mind elaborating on what you said about your church’s song choices? I’m curious as to what makes you question a song which might help me with discernment.

” I am kind of grappling with questions around music within churches. I am part of a worship team in a small church and I find myself questioning some of the songs.”

Hi Dianna
    I am jumping in a bit for Tony (I hope he does not mind)
    Tony and I go to the same Church and although I was not there for this particular Sunday, there was a visiting music group from another Church, they included a very heavy emphasis on local indigenous spirituality (Maori culture) and one of the songs had blatantly New Age lyrics for those aware of the “As Above, So Below” teachings, here are the lyrics; Maori words with English translation below (emphasis added to some lyrics)

Verse 1:
    Tuia i runga
    Sewn together is everything above
    Tuia i raro
    Sewn together is everything below
    Tuia i roto
    Sewn together is everything within
    Tuia i waho
    Sewn together is everything without
    Tuia te here tangata
    Sewn together are all the people

Verse 2:
    Ka rongo te po
    And the darkness heard
    Ka rongo te Ao
    And the light heard
    Hauni e!
    Annoint
    Hui e!
    Gather
    Taiki e!
    Embrace

There are many songs that are not so blatant as this one, however, I have noticed some of the NAR teachings start to creep into some Christian music. There is an awesome catchy powerful song sung by Jesus Culture of Bethel Redding Church called “Break Every Chain” (I love this song). Some of the lyrics speak of an army rising up, is this referring to Joel’s army so many of the NAR movement speak of? Jesus Culture is attached to a NAR Church group. Here is the video with lyrics.

A Minute To Midnite Staff writer

Louise Brislane
    Participant

We sing 10,000 reasons in our church which is a reformed style Presbyterian church in Australia, also Darlene’s song from the 90s as both are sound doctrinely, which I believe is the key. The words have to be Scriptural, plus worship our Great God as well as Jesus our Lord & Saviour. A lot of songs are all about ‘me’, also some don’t mention the Godhead at all & could be a love song to anybody. There are also some great hymns that have been given modern tunes & they have been uplifting to the original words. I have no problem with that. It is the loud guitar playing & drums that I find distasteful in church worship. Watch the musicians are they playing to glorify self or the Lord? Also I like them to be dressed respectively, especially the girls & do not enjoy them jumping around like they have bees in their pants. I am sorry but to worship Almighty God needs us to be humble before Him & to give our worship to Him. How many people do you see greeting the Queen of England in old torn jeans & tank tops? None! There is a code of dress as you are greeting a monarch. So it should be when we are coming before our Lord & King, our Creator & God. There is a time & place for everything & I find it sad that people today don’t have that respect any more but treat God like their mate down the pub & I believe that He deserves more than that, He deserves our respect & our humility as we draw near to Him in worship!!

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Hi Dianna
    I am jumping in a bit for Tony (I hope he does not mind)
    Tony and I go to the same Church and although I was not there for this particular Sunday, there was a visiting music group from another Church, they included a very heavy emphasis on local indigenous spirituality (Maori culture) and one of the songs had blatantly New Age lyrics for those aware of the “As Above, So Below” teachings, here are the lyrics; Maori words with English translation below (emphasis added to some lyrics)

Verse 1:
    Tuia i runga
    Sewn together is everything above
    Tuia i raro
    Sewn together is everything below
    Tuia i roto
    Sewn together is everything within
    Tuia i waho
    Sewn together is everything without
    Tuia te here tangata
    Sewn together are all the people

Verse 2:
    Ka rongo te po
    And the darkness heard
    Ka rongo te Ao
    And the light heard
    Hauni e!
    Annoint
    Hui e!
    Gather
    Taiki e!
    Embrace

There are many songs that are not so blatant as this one, however, I have noticed some of the NAR teachings start to creep into some Christian music. There is an awesome catchy powerful song sung by Jesus Culture of Bethel Redding Church called “Break Every Chain” (I love this song). Some of the lyrics speak of an army rising up, is this referring to Joel’s army so many of the NAR movement speak of? Jesus Culture is attached to a NAR Church group. Here is the video with lyrics.

Matt – yeah I was horrified when that “As above so below” lyric’d song was done. I made it pretty clearly known to the leadership that I was close to leaving and never coming back that day. It was extra hard because I was on the sound mixing desk…and all I wanted to do was walk out!

As far as “Break Every chain” song goes, I gotta say I love that song too. Most of the lyrics are great in that one..but yeah the “army rising” bit would go over most people’s heads! I enjoy playing guitar on that one and improvising solos etc.
    It’s getting harder to be part of a church and a worship team. I am wondering each week now if something will come up that means I have to quit going there.

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Wow, that Maori song is really obvious, like you said, but the army rising up in “Break Every Chain” would have slipped by me so I really appreciate you pointing that out. I love it too & hear it almost daily when working from home.

I’d never heard of the group Jesus Culture until I started streaming worship music through Pandora; they play them & Hillsong a lot. (I haven’t heard them on my local Christian radio station, or they have more main-stream artists cover their music, I guess.) I love most of it and looked up their background, church affiliation, etc. If they happened to be local to me (they’re not, I’m in Texas) I just might have started attending since I really am having a hard time finding a good church near me.

Louise, I agree with you on all your points, however, I sure do like that I don’t have to dress up to attend church. I guess a lot of churches have “relaxed” to draw in younger/more people, and being able to “come as you are” seems to remove another barrier to attendance.

MattS
    Senior Moderator

Here is another one Dianna

A song by Jesus Culture (Kim Walker-Smith) called “Spirit Break Out”. Here are some of the Lyrics

Our Father
    All of Heaven roars Your name
    Sing louder
    Let this place erupt with praise
    Can you hear it
    A sound of Heaven touching earth
    A sound of Heaven touching earth

Once again, a very powerful song, however the lyrics talk of “Heaven coming to Earth“, which is a popular NAR doctrine that is unscriptural. Louise is right in that we need to look at the lyrics to see if they line up with scripture. I have to say that this has been a big learning curve for me (and Tony being on the worship team LOL) re this music, this also ties in with the NAR “7 Mountains” false teaching where music (Being part of the Arts & Entertainment Mountain) is to be conquered by Christians before Jesus returns…….. none of this lines up with scripture, but we can be quietly drawn into it without realizing.

It is awesome you are being prompted to check this stuff out.

Here is the Spirit Break Out song with lyrics

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Matt, I’m laughing so hard right now because that song, “Spirit Break Out”, is another song I’ve been drawn too! I love it and even wrote down the name the last time it came on Pandora so I could buy it on iTunes!!! I keep a playlist of my favorite Christian music and was thinking of adding it to the collection.

LOL! Feeling rather foolish that I’d be such a sucker for a bad church as long as the music was good if it weren’t for you guys! :/

MattS
    Senior Moderator

Dianna, please do not feel so foolish, I can understand maybe why you would want to, but don’t. I was in the same position, I love the music, it sounds great. I’m also a sucker for some great praise & worship music. It wasn’t until I started to learn about the NAR teachings and where they were coming from that I realised it was in the music. I started to think about the words I was singing and realised the NAR false teachings were in some of the songs, it is very subtle. I am grateful that you are accepting of this, many folk just don’t want to know even with the evidence presented to them. This powerful music draws people in and it sounds good and godly. Satan is really clever at deceiving us. I believe the folk that write and perform this music are good folk that are caught up in deception. Thank you for listening. I will speak of these things in the hope that there will be folk like yourself that really start to get an understanding of these things, so, good on you for being teachable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.