What is Midrash, and is it Important?

Home Forums General Discussions What is Midrash, and is it Important?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MattS
    Senior Moderator

It is in the last 6 months or so, that I have come across the idea of “Midrash” as a way of understanding the bible, you might say it a more 3 dimensional view of scripture. At this point I have to be very clear that the Midrash I speak of is NOT the rabbinical Midrash that Google is so fond of throwing up on any given search.

The Hebrew-Jewish scholars/rabbi’s of Jesus and Paul’s time used the Midrashic approach in explaining, interpreting and understanding scripture. Once again, in simple terms, they used a combination of allegory (a picture revealing a hidden meaning) and typology (a type of) to reveal the deeper meanings in scripture. There can be multiple meanings in scripture, the literal meaning (peshit) and the deeper meaning (pesher). Midrash is never is a basis for making doctrine, it always supports or validates scripture.

A Minute to Midnite Administration
      A Minute To Midnite Staff writer

Rene’
      Participant

Matt, I love this article-you did such a great job explaining the concept of Midrash. The Scriptures DO open up and become 3 dimensional when you look at the patterns. I first learned of this approach from my friends during Parashah studies, who call it “Drash,” and they would take apart each word and look at the meaning of each letter so as to better understand what the Scriptures were communicating. For example, the Lamed in Hebrew looks like a staff, so the letter represents authority-like in EL (translated God) and MELEKH (translated King). Of course, each letter is also a number, so then we got into Gematria, which is also intriguing

Next, I learned of the acronym PaRDeS, which represents the four levels of interpretation of Scripture (Pashat-simple; Remez-hint;Drash-search; Sod-hidden) from Brad Scott’s teachings. When I saw that the patterns repeat over and over again in Scripture, I started to be able to understand prophecy a lot better. I initially used the method in my study of the Anti-Christ and saw that the pattern repeats all through Scripture. To me, it’s like learning the language of the Spirit better so now I can understand what He is saying and also see the patterns that are there and have the Word confirmed. I hope that makes sense.

I really like Jacob Prasch’s teachings for the same reasons you do. I don’t agree with everything that he teaches, but I’d give him a pretty high ranking for accuracy since he does explain the root meanings of the original language.

I hope your article generates an interest for others to look into this method of learning to gain a deeper understanding of Scripture!

Blessings!

MattS
        Senior Moderator

Hi Rene’, yes, there is so much to Midrash, it is quite complex to the non-Hebrew thinker. I do hope that people will start to explore it even at its basic level as they will quickly see so much more in scripture. I am still a total novice as yet but would encourage people to spend some time listening to Biblical Midrashic teaching, to get a grasp of the patterns that God shows right throughout scripture in relation to prophecy, it is amazing and gives a great sense of hope. Thanks for commenting on this Rene’and giving further information on Midrash that folks can research.

A Minute to Midnite Administration
          A Minute To Midnite Staff writer

Michele Michael
          Participant

A quick and simple search of “Midrash” brought up this statement: “Midrash is biblical exegesis by ancient Judaic authorities, using a mode of interpretation prominent in the Talmud.” I personally choose to stay away from ALL rabbinic literature. I am not least influenced by Christ Jesus telling us to call no man “rabbi,” but there is more. The Talmud includes the Zohar, in which it claims that my Lord and Saviour is eternally boiling in feces and other despicable things.

I am not interested in learning from those who have rejected Christ Jesus, and as for the term “rabbi,” I am also not interested in those who choose to ignore Jesus’ command not to call any man rabbi. No more than I am interested in learning from the Catholic priests who allow themselves to be called Father.

I have heard that something like 70% of converts to Judaism these days are people who have been in either the Hebrew Roots movement and/or Messianic Judaism. I started to get tangled in all of that myself, until I realized I was spending more energy and concern over how to pronounce Hebrew names and words than I spent on simply reading God’s Word and striving to obey Him, to show Him that I love him, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.