The Greatest Showman

Home Forums Arts, Music, Movies, Entertainment The Greatest Showman

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Silas 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Silas
    Participant

This Hugh Jackman movie is a loose portrayal of P T Barnum. I saw this twice a the cinema this week.
    Very constructively artful. I love all that: the energetic dancing, the stunning costumes, impelling lyrics, and touching human story!

A bunch of societal rejects are taken out of despair, given a new identity, forged into a new family, speaking with a powerful voice, challenged the hollow pursuits of those distracted with wealth and position…and changed the world forever.

Hmmm. There is, I suspect, a lesson in that for the followers of Yeshua.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Silas.

M.E.
    Participant

I saw the trailer for that while watching a different movie I got from the library. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but “freaks” were viewed as almost subhuman by the general populace at that time. Does it portray that in the film? From reading ‘Truevine’ by Beth Macy I did come to the opinion that circus work still provided more autonomy than most would have found elsewhere, and the circus had its own sense of equality, but I’m a bit too cynical to enjoy a movie that is sugar-coated. Did I misjudge the movie based on the trailer? I’d like to know because I would possibly be interested in seeing it once my library gets it in.

Silas
    Participant

You can find whatever you want. Depends on what you are looking for.
    I view the arts, even in a fallen form, having a root in the divine.
    But that’s just my generous way of looking at creation, especially people.
    BTW, in my opinion the trailers did not well represent the film.
    And regarding this film, it was about PT Barnum. Of course it is fantastical and sugar coated. It’s a case of “the medium is the message” in the truest form.
    Remember, this was NOT a movie about J Edgar Hoover or Winston Churchill.

M.E.
    Participant

Every movie about real-life events is sugar-coated. I know this and I still watch some of them. I suppose I meant super-coated, lol. Thanks for sharing your experience with us 🙂 .

Silas
    Participant

I still suggest you give Greatest Showman a watch. There are some powerful relevant sub-themes in my opinion.
    Enjoy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.