Seed-Starting Mistakes Even Smart People Make

Home Forums Survival skills and Prepping Seed-Starting Mistakes Even Smart People Make

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Louise Brislane 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MattS
    Senior Moderator

For you gardeners out there, this is an awesome 26 min audio program from “Off The Grid Radio” that gives great tips for starting off your seedlings, there is a good deal more to it than just putting some seeds in the soil!! I learned a lot from this audio program as I made plenty of mistakes this year ☺.

A Minute to Midnite Administration
    A Minute To Midnite Staff writer

M.E.
    Participant

I love watching for the little sprouts to pop up ❤️❤️❤️.

Louise Brislane
    Participant

I bought a feijoa in Woolies last year to try as they had dropped the price. An interesting fruit. It has the tiniest of seeds in it. The second feijoa was over ripe & tasted awful so instead of throwing it out, I decided to go on line & find out a little more about them. I discovered a gardener in New Zealand who grows them & he explained how easy they were to grow from seed. He scraped the very tiny seed onto a paper towel to dry out for a couple of days, then spread out the dried out seeds on the paper towel & placed it into a plastic zip lock bag. Then he dampened the paper towel & closed up the baggie & sat it in a warm spot in the kitchen. So I copied what he did, some 3 weeks later I discovered that I had tiny sprouted seedlings on my paper towel which was partly a surprise as I wasn’t sure if the black was really seed but went ahead anyway. Then a few days later I transplanted the tiny seedlings carefully into a small seedling tray in potting mix, sat them on a sunny spot on my bench & kept them watered & they grew. After about a month they were big enough to transplant into small separate pots which I did. I nurtured them for another month or two & then passed most of them onto my brother with the suggestion that he might like a hedge of feijoas. I kept two to put into my large long pots that form the barrier between me & the drive. I have 5 of them formed into an L shape & plan to put my bulbs & other shrubs into them with the two feijoas to give me some privacy from the drive & some fruit to eat, all going well. I am going to try this idea with other seeds as well to see if it works as it is so simple & clean & you can see the seeds & know if they are all going to grow or not. My towel was doubled over but I was still able to peek in at the end to see the new growth. It was an exciting moment actually!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.