Prepper Camp 2018

Home Forums Survival skills and Prepping Prepper Camp 2018

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tony Koretz 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Gary Combs
    Participant

Who knows how things will be in September, 2018, but, for those of you interested, this is apparently a big event that is put on every year. I only learned about it just before this years and all the camping spots were sold out by then.

http://www.preppercamp.com/

MattS
    Senior Moderator

Looks awesome Gary, looks like they need to expand it judging by the “SOLD OUT” camping spots. This type of event will only get more popular I think. But I guess that will be dependant on “how things will be in September 2018”!!

A Minute to Midnite Administration
    A Minute To Midnite Staff writer

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

That looks like a great idea. I bet you could learn heaps there over three days!

A Minute To Midnite Show Host

Gary Combs
    Participant

Looks awesome Gary, looks like they need to expand it judging by the “SOLD OUT” camping spots. This type of event will only get more popular I think. But I guess that will be dependant on “how things will be in September 2018”!!

I hear you Matt. Who knows how much more time this nation has got.
    It’s been 4 or 5 years since I’ve been to an event like this. I’m thinking about going to this one next year. I don’t know how many AMTM forum members live in the SE but, it would be cool if it could turn into a meetup.

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

This looks awesome!! I love camping and learning about self-sufficiency.

I grew up camping, canoeing and fishing, and I really miss it. (Why is it the man gets the camping gear when you get divorced?) I don’t know a whole lot of single ladies that want to go camping. Maybe I need to start a ladies camping meet-up group. 🙂

MattS
    Senior Moderator

I hear you Matt. Who knows how much more time this nation has got.
    It’s been 4 or 5 years since I’ve been to an event like this. I’m thinking about going to this one next year. I don’t know how many AMTM forum members live in the SE but, it would be cool if it could turn into a meetup.

Put it out on the Forum Gary and closer to the time keep reminding everyone that you are attending and arrange a meetup if you have some interest. I wish we had such things down here in New Zealand, but there are just not enough of us who are connected yet to warrant such an event, would be awesome though, I am truly envious in a good way of course LOL

A Minute To Midnite Staff writer

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

This looks awesome!! I love camping and learning about self-sufficiency.

I grew up camping, canoeing and fishing, and I really miss it. (Why is it the man gets the camping gear when you get divorced?) I don’t know a whole lot of single ladies that want to go camping. Maybe I need to start a ladies camping meet-up group. 🙂

Funny I just was walking home from the beach and thinking about how little my camping gear even gets used these days and how much I miss using it. I love camping too – but while it is great fun to do that when you are in a relationship/marriage, it’s not so much fun on your own! MY ex wife and I used to pack the kids in the car and towing a trailer load of camping gear, and with kayaks on the roof rack on of we would go on our summer holidays.

Speaking of canoeing….it was the early 1990’s and I was in the middle of a lake ( Lake Rotoma in NZ) in a kayak, and freak small wave flipped me out. The kayak filled up with water and was upside down. I ended up having to lie on top on the upside down canoe and paddle it all the way to the shore, as there was no way to empty the water out in the middle of the lake. I was absolutely exhausted when I got back to the shore!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Tony Koretz.

Gary Combs
    Participant

I’ve gone on some camping trips with a group but, although I am married, my wife has only gone once with me as she’s not too keen on it. <sigh>.

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Based on my experience, I believe it’s very important for a couple to do most things together. Just my opinion based on a marriage that didn’t make it.

Tony, that must be a really big lake! I don’t think our lakes around here in Texas could produce a wave big enough to flip a canoe/kayak, but like you said, it was a freak wave. Be safe out there!

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Based on my experience, I believe it’s very important for a couple to do most things together. Just my opinion based on a marriage that didn’t make it.

Tony, that must be a really big lake! I don’t think our lakes around here in Texas could produce a wave big enough to flip a canoe/kayak, but like you said, it was a freak wave. Be safe out there!

There are some pretty big lakes in that general area…Lake Taupo is YUGE- mongous!! But Lake Rotoma is not so big…..kind of middle sized I suppose. The wave that tipped me out wasn’t really big, but it hit me side on and caught me by surprise.

Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo 2

Lake Rotoma – (where I was tipped out of kayak)

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Wow, those lakes are gorgeous! Absolutely stunning with the snow-covered mountains in the background. Is all of New Zealand that beautiful?

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Wow, those lakes are gorgeous! Absolutely stunning with the snow-covered mountains in the background. Is all of New Zealand that beautiful?

Lake Taupo is pretty big- almost like an inland sea. But actually it sits on one of the biggest super volcanoes in the world. But it is pretty stunning. It’s a popular tourist spot. Great trout fishing, boating, and skiing nearby in winter.

I think all of NZ is pretty beautiful in it’s own right. Good beaches, lakes, mountains forests, and mostly it’s pretty green too. But some spots are obviously more picturesque than others.

Here are some photos I took where I live. It’s not quite so stunning as Taupo, but it’s still pretty beautiful :

Tararua Ranges- Otaki Winter-1

This photo is from on the beach near my house in winter

Taraua Ranges- Otaki Winter 2

This one I took just outside the town where I live on a nice winter’s day.

Otaki Beach-summer evening

That one was a summer evening on the beach near my house

M.E.
    Participant

That’s about 5 hours from me. Sounds interesting, but it’s tough to do stuff like that with really young kids; which I have. I’ve only kayaked once, but it was so fun 😀 hope to do it again when the kids are all older. I used to go camping often growing up. We would take our boat and camp on one of the islands in Philpott lake. That was a lot of fun too :). I used to be outside all the time exploring, working, riding horses, shooting guns with my dad… it just seems so hard to get out anymore. I miss it 🙁 !

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

Those pictures are gorgeous, too! It must be wonderful to live in such a beautiful place with a temperate climate.

Is that black sand from one of the volcanos in that first picture?

That second pic looks almost European to me, but I wouldn’t really know as I’ve never been to Europe. Just going from pictures that I’ve seen of European countryside. Either way, it’s so charming!

M.E. you must love living there, as well. I’m sure you’ll re-discover everything you used to do once your kids get older. The best part is that you’ll get to help them experience all those things. 🙂

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Those pictures are gorgeous, too! It must be wonderful to live in such a beautiful place with a temperate climate.

Is that black sand from one of the volcanos in that first picture?

That second pic looks almost European to me, but I wouldn’t really know as I’ve never been to Europe. Just going from pictures that I’ve seen of European countryside. Either way, it’s so charming!

🙂

Actually the sand is not particularly dark on the beach where I am. It’s pretty much a silvery colour really. It just looked darker probably because it was a bit wet from the tide having been up there earlier. It’s on the west coast of the North Island of NZ. Actually in some other parts of the west coast the sand actually is pretty much black though. Whereas on the east coast it is almost white in colour. There are also some golden coloured sandy beaches at the top of the South Island. Our coastline varies a lot.

I agree that the second picture does look quite European – not that I have been there either lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.