An Ultimate Survival Food

Home Forums Survival skills and Prepping An Ultimate Survival Food

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dianna Bonner 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Becky Steel
    Participant

Hi! Have any/many of you tried making pemmican? I’m attempting it right now! We went blueberry picking on the weekend and today I bought 2kg of lean topside beef, sliced it up super thin (against the grain), and now it’s drying in the oven. Not sure what to get for the animal fat, so will look into it further.
    Here’s the video I first watched about it a little while ago – I think Tony or someone from AMTM shared it:

Tony Koretz
    Keymaster

Hi! Have any/many of you tried making pemmican? I’m attempting it right now! We went blueberry picking on the weekend and today I bought 2kg of lean topside beef, sliced it up super thin (against the grain), and now it’s drying in the oven. Not sure what to get for the animal fat, so will look into it further.
    Here’s the video I first watched about it a little while ago – I think Tony or someone from AMTM shared it:

Let us know how it goes when you make some. It will be interesting to know how it works out.

A Minute to Midnite Administration
    A Minute To Midnite Show Host

MattS
    Senior Moderator

Hi Becky

I do remember that video from some time ago and know that Tony and I discussed making pemmican. It depends on where you are from I guess, however in New Zealand you can buy rendered beef tallow from a butcher or supermarket/grocery store, it usually comes in a plastic container of around 500 gms or about 1 lb here in NZ. As per Tony’s comment I would be interested how you get on also.

A Minute to Midnite Administration
    A Minute To Midnite Staff writer

Dianna Bonner
    Participant

My biggest question is how does it taste?? Also, can you substitute any other berry? I think I’d possibly prefer cranberries but not sure if there is a specific reason it calls for blueberries.

I, too, am interested to find out how your recipe turned out!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.